- China Nears Global Reserve Status: “There Will Be a Reset of the Financial Industry” 2015-05-29 11:26
- Stocks Began Falling Right At This Time Of The Year Just Prior To The Last Financial Crisis 2015-05-29 00:32
- Rand Paul: ‘Disingenuous’ Obama Can Stop NSA Spying Any Time He Wants 2015-05-26 22:11
- Wealthy Installing “Safe Rooms” to Prepare for Civil Unrest? 2015-05-26 21:34
- Obama Usurps Local Police With Fake “Ban” on Militarization 2015-05-26 21:28
- RIP: Over 100 newspapers dumped in year, ads down 50%, circulation hits bottom 2015-05-26 01:36
Anticorruption-2 in set-dressing2010-08-26 19:56
At the beginning of June, a new anti-corruption strategy was adopted in Georgia. By September 1, the government is to submit to Saakashvili the project implementation plan that will be valid for three years, despite the fact that the state leaders keep stressing the absence of the main evil, in Saakashvili's opinion. Many people attribute the Georgian leader's "mental twist" to Mishiko's desperate attempts to maintain the helm of state in his sinking liberal boat.
The new refined plan of fighting the light-fingered officials includes the following items: state service modernization, state and administrative service improvement, state purchases improvement, public finance reforming, customs and tax systems improvement, assistance to corruption prevention, justice system operation improvement, updating finances systems and political parties monitoring.
According to the government data, the corruption resistance index in Georgia is 4,1, which is the lowest in the whole of the post-Soviet territory. Was the project hastily cooked up solely as a preventive measure, which preparation required the participation of a special interagency group, analytical department of Ministry of Justice and even NGO representatives? Indeed, there is no limit to perfection, Mr. President.
However, the opposition is apt to believe that the entire noise is related to the prospect of a clan fight inside the government so that Mikhail Saakashvili could keep the balance and feel more or less safe:
- This plan is a kind of insurance in case one clan defeats another, or vice versa. There have been mass arrests recently that seem to be illogic: both those who were caught in dealing with the opposition and those who have no relation to it are taken into custody. To launch a new anti-corruption plan in one day may only mean that Saakashvili is informed of the possible fight inside the government, where, for instance, Minister of MIA Vano Merabishvili will be on one side and Mayor of Tbilisi Gigi Ugulava will be on the other side, - the situation was commented upon by leader of the Imedi party Irina Sarishvili.
One should pay attention to the way the Georgian government is stressing the fact of nongovernmental organizations' participation in the preparation of the anti-corruption plan realization project. However, Chairwoman of Association of Young Lawyers Tamara Khidasheli assures that the recommendations she sent to the anti-corruption commission were never considered. So, whom does the government mean?