- China Nears Global Reserve Status: “There Will Be a Reset of the Financial Industry” 2015-05-29 11:26
- Stocks Began Falling Right At This Time Of The Year Just Prior To The Last Financial Crisis 2015-05-29 00:32
- Rand Paul: ‘Disingenuous’ Obama Can Stop NSA Spying Any Time He Wants 2015-05-26 22:11
- Wealthy Installing “Safe Rooms” to Prepare for Civil Unrest? 2015-05-26 21:34
- Obama Usurps Local Police With Fake “Ban” on Militarization 2015-05-26 21:28
- RIP: Over 100 newspapers dumped in year, ads down 50%, circulation hits bottom 2015-05-26 01:36
Out of prison… by the New Year2008-12-10 18:02
Georgia is planning another amnesty. The previous action coincided with the 5th anniversary of the Rose revolution celebrated on November 23. As the members of the amnesty committee believe the next release of prisoners will take place by the New Year or Christmas.
The action details are not communicated yet. Tbilissian newspaper "Resonansi" supposes that around 150 people will get liberty.
"The list has not been given to me yet but the amnesty is planned for real, - a member of the amnesty committee, representative of the parliamentary minority Georgy Tsagareishvili stated. - It is very good that the institution really works. This is the third amnesty for three months. Non parliamentary opposition can scorn us but the fact is obvious. Besides I have information that the Ministry of Justice is working on enacting the institution of parole now. The thing is this rule is determined by law but in reality it has been inert for several years. If the authorities do not refresh it we will surely put this issue on the agenda".
It will be remembered that according to the reports of Georgia's authorities the amnesty in honor of the Rose revolution anniversary covered over 12 thousand persons. 7 thousand of them are on preliminary detention or are condemned, the other 5 thousand serve conditional sentences.
The penalty execution department was supposed to pass their cases on to the court that must reconsider them within a two-month period and bring them into compliance with the amnesty law.
"We have guarantee of the authorities that the next amnesty will refer to people convicted of official crimes - Georgy Tsagareishvili told. - Amnesty will deal with six concrete articles: bribery, abuse of official powers, negligence etc."
It is unknown whether the coming amnesty will involve political prisoners.