- China Nears Global Reserve Status: “There Will Be a Reset of the Financial Industry” 2015-05-29 11:26
- Stocks Began Falling Right At This Time Of The Year Just Prior To The Last Financial Crisis 2015-05-29 00:32
- Rand Paul: ‘Disingenuous’ Obama Can Stop NSA Spying Any Time He Wants 2015-05-26 22:11
- Wealthy Installing “Safe Rooms” to Prepare for Civil Unrest? 2015-05-26 21:34
- Obama Usurps Local Police With Fake “Ban” on Militarization 2015-05-26 21:28
- RIP: Over 100 newspapers dumped in year, ads down 50%, circulation hits bottom 2015-05-26 01:36
Kutaisi Memorial Immortalized in Moscow2010-12-21 20:35
Moscow has had another monument dedicated to the Great Patriotic War. The statuary group "We Were Together in Our Fight against Fascism" was erected on the Poklonnaya Hill. It captured the moment when the Georgian Meliton Kantaria and the Russian Nikolay Egorov hoisted the Banner of Victory over the Reichstag. As one of the monument authors, Charman of the Russion Union of Artists Andrey Kovalchuk told us in his interview to GeorgiaTimes, the explosion of the Memorial of Fame in Kutaisi made him think: was the victory really common for all USSR republics?
- Andrey Nikolaevich, it is known that first the jury chose six of the 25 monument designs, and then the winner was defined by the Board of Guardians. Your creative team that also includes the sculptor Salavat Shcherbakov and the architect Vassily Perfiliev, had more than one idea, too. What other options were considered?
- Yes, we had a few options that were basically different. The two main designs were "Hoisitng the Banner over the Reichstag" and "15 Representatives of Soviet Peoples on the Т-34 Tank". We had two more architectural ideas: "Bell" and "Letters", as I call them nominally.
- Why did you choose the feat of the Soviet warriors Egorov and Kantaria?
- It was not our decision but that of the contest committee. All our variants were presented during the first round, and three designs of our team reached the second round: "Hoisting the Banner", the tank composition and the "Letters": that was a stela made of soldiers' letters, paper triangles. The victory theme was interpreted in the architectural and decorative terms, and the idea was supposed to be developed. But the main thing was the letters so characteristic of the Great Patriotic War.
- Initially it was planned to dedicate the monument to Georgian warriors, instead of the exploded Georgian memorial...