- China Nears Global Reserve Status: “There Will Be a Reset of the Financial Industry” 2015-05-29 11:26
- Stocks Began Falling Right At This Time Of The Year Just Prior To The Last Financial Crisis 2015-05-29 00:32
- Rand Paul: ‘Disingenuous’ Obama Can Stop NSA Spying Any Time He Wants 2015-05-26 22:11
- Wealthy Installing “Safe Rooms” to Prepare for Civil Unrest? 2015-05-26 21:34
- Obama Usurps Local Police With Fake “Ban” on Militarization 2015-05-26 21:28
- RIP: Over 100 newspapers dumped in year, ads down 50%, circulation hits bottom 2015-05-26 01:36
The sweet word of Vanuatu2011-06-02 22:38
Abkhazia's independence has been recognized by one more state, Vanuatu, an island country in Oceania that is very far from civilization. Thus, it turns out that the Caucasian republic's most loyal friends are located at the other end of the planet. Nauru is not very far from Vanuatu and it has recognized the independence of the former Georgian autonomy quite a long time ago. Now there are five countries that have recognized
Abkhazia's sovereignty. There is a possibility that several more exotic countries will be added to this list in the nearest time.
Of course, Vanuatu is no Nauru. The county's population is about 215 thousand people, its jurisdiction covers 83 islands; the county has got several big cities and even sea ports. There is an airport and, unlike Nauru, from where it is hard to start off, several flights per week are performed to Australian metropolises. In general, that's a robust country. But it is poor because all the goods are brought in by sea, which is very expansive. It has no mineral resources and natural disasters are very often there: one day, an ocean tsunami destroys half an island and the other day, an earthquake happens. Nevertheless, the government tries to improve the economy and invites tourists. Even the ways to earn money are not as exotic as in the neighbouring countries where they sell citizenship. In Vanuatu, they shoot reality-shows, such as the American version of the Cruel Intentions project. There is even some kind of political life, there is opposition, which media are trying to cover the authorities - quite a normal life, on the whole.
Of course, in terms of its influence in the world, Vanuatu cannot catch up even with the tiny but European San-Marino, for whose recognition Sukhum is waiting. Nevertheless, this is a pleasant trifle, and here Abkhazia takes advantage of quantity. By the way, Vanuatu has recognized only Abkhazia's independence, without mentioning South Ossetia.