- China Nears Global Reserve Status: “There Will Be a Reset of the Financial Industry” 2015-05-29 11:26
- Stocks Began Falling Right At This Time Of The Year Just Prior To The Last Financial Crisis 2015-05-29 00:32
- Rand Paul: ‘Disingenuous’ Obama Can Stop NSA Spying Any Time He Wants 2015-05-26 22:11
- Wealthy Installing “Safe Rooms” to Prepare for Civil Unrest? 2015-05-26 21:34
- Obama Usurps Local Police With Fake “Ban” on Militarization 2015-05-26 21:28
- RIP: Over 100 newspapers dumped in year, ads down 50%, circulation hits bottom 2015-05-26 01:36
How fearful it is to be a diplomat in Abkhazia2011-06-20 11:24
The diplomatic mission is sometimes a real challenge. Moral support of the federal center might not be enough. The government of the Russian Federation has established a list of dangerous states and the amount of compensation for diplomats that draw their public duty in politically unstable regions. It became necessary to take these measures long ago: formerly each employee decided whether to take these risks individually. Yet, Abkhazia and South Ossetia are not happy to be referred to as "unstable".
"Apparently, certain officials of the Russian ministry of foreign affairs have simply beaten out an extra pay for their work in Abkhazia. What instability can we talk about in a country annually visited by one million tourists even though part of them comes just for a day? Certainly, the situation in South Ossetia is completely different. - Inal Hashig, an Abkhaz politologist is quoted by Moscow News. Naturally a state that considers itself free from Georgian yoke for twenty years, is not happy to be compared with Kosovo, Kirgizia, Tajikistan, Alger, Lebanon, Israel, Iran, Syria, Pakistan, Sri-Lanka, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, the Democratic republic of Congo, Nigeria, Sudan, the Central African Republic, Chad, Eritrea, Ethiopia,
Guatemala and Columbia.
Yet, taking a keener look at the country, it becomes clear that the gradation is natural. The crime rate is too high in Abkhazia for tourists including foreign citizens to feel safe. Besides, the tourist industry is not developed well enough. The main advantage of Abkhaz sea resorts is low prices. Turkey, Abkhazia's neighbor, has a different level of service and naturally a different investment flow. Let alone Sergey Bagapsh's unexpected death: now everyone expects what direction the vector of Abkhazia's foreign policy will take. That is why all factors - economy, politics, social sphere - make it impossible to include the partially recognized republic into the list of stable and safe countries for the work of the diplomatic corps.