- China Nears Global Reserve Status: “There Will Be a Reset of the Financial Industry” 2015-05-29 11:26
- Stocks Began Falling Right At This Time Of The Year Just Prior To The Last Financial Crisis 2015-05-29 00:32
- Rand Paul: ‘Disingenuous’ Obama Can Stop NSA Spying Any Time He Wants 2015-05-26 22:11
- Wealthy Installing “Safe Rooms” to Prepare for Civil Unrest? 2015-05-26 21:34
- Obama Usurps Local Police With Fake “Ban” on Militarization 2015-05-26 21:28
- RIP: Over 100 newspapers dumped in year, ads down 50%, circulation hits bottom 2015-05-26 01:36
Ivanishvili puts his head into mouth of authorities2011-10-07 19:50
Bidzina Ivanishvili, a billionaire, has long been in sight of the Georgian authorities and opposition with his apolitical generosity. He was a dark horse ready for anything at the worst moment. That is why he was provoked to show what side his USD 5 bln will play on. The Labor party accused the oligarch of financing Mikheil Saakashvili. In reply, journalists disseminated rumors twice that Bidzina had fled Georgia refusing to sponsor the government. As a result, Ivanishvili announced his coming into politics like Badri Patarkatsishvili who died prematurely once did.
his coming into politics like Badri Patarkatsishvili who died prematurely once did.
For many years Georgia has been unable to say anything negative about Bidzina Ivanishvili despite his multi-billion fortune. During cracy 90s he made a fortune in Russia establishing the Russian Credit bank. His business grew and he was included in 200 richest people list by Forbes as a Russian businessman.
Ivanishvili modestly spends part of his income for charity in Georgia. 80% of reconstruction works for Saint Trinity Cathedral was done on his donations. Now, this cathedral is a symbol of today's Tbilisi. Via his Karta foundation he pays grants to art figures like Guram Rcheulishvili, for instance. He finances concerts and festivals including the annual international festival of Russian-speaking writers. He pays for reconstruction of old churches, museums and theaters.
Ivanishvili's businesses are operating in various countries of the world with one third remaining in Russia. Since 2004 the rich man has been living in Georgia in his native village of Chorvila (Sachkheri district). It seems he wants nothing but peace and quiet in life.
Yet, his huge capital estimated at the amount of USD 5.5 bln by Forbes, gives no peace to many in Georgia. It is very strange that such a rich man has never expressed his political ambitions and sympathies in public. It is quite dangerous to have a well-off person, popular among the population, that can afford buying victory at the elections for any party. That is why Bidzina has been provoked to speak his mind since January.