- China Nears Global Reserve Status: “There Will Be a Reset of the Financial Industry” 2015-05-29 11:26
- Stocks Began Falling Right At This Time Of The Year Just Prior To The Last Financial Crisis 2015-05-29 00:32
- Rand Paul: ‘Disingenuous’ Obama Can Stop NSA Spying Any Time He Wants 2015-05-26 22:11
- Wealthy Installing “Safe Rooms” to Prepare for Civil Unrest? 2015-05-26 21:34
- Obama Usurps Local Police With Fake “Ban” on Militarization 2015-05-26 21:28
- RIP: Over 100 newspapers dumped in year, ads down 50%, circulation hits bottom 2015-05-26 01:36
Media war on all TV screens2012-02-08 21:02
A serious fight is about to start in the Georgian media. Alia Holding has accused four companies of slander - Real TV, Public TV, Rustavi-2 and Imedi. According to the lawyers of Alia, reports on its connections with tycoon Bidzina Ivanishvili broadcasted by these channels are groundless. Now it is up to the court to decide who is to blame.
The reason to apply to the law was a report by Real TV telling that Alia had received money from billionaire Bidzina Ivanishvili who recently entered politics. Besides, the authors of "Alia is an extorter" program asserted that the newspaper had first published knowingly false information on various companies and then, on receiving "incentives" from them to the amount of two-five thousand laris, started publishing positive articles.
According to Alia's lawyer Vasil Titvinidze, reputation of the holding has been seriously damaged. "The main point is that this fact was represented as proven in the news release, - he believes. - Alia newspaper could be called an extorter only if this fact had been proven in court; otherwise, it is slander". Titvinidze asserts possessing official data from the Georgian Chamber of Control saying that the newspaper was never sponsored by Bidzina Ivanishvili. Now Alia demands refutation of the information disseminated not only by Real TV but also by Public TV, Imedi and Rustavi-2. These companies also aired reports on a deal between Alia and Ivanishvili.
The newspaper has already filed a claim according to two articles on honour and dignity protection implying punishment for slander. The copies of the claims will also be sent to the companies. Vasil Titvinidze says the channels accused of slander have got ten days to prepare a response. "According to my information, the court has noted the claim against Real TV and the TV company has already responded to the notification of claim", - the lawyer remarked