- China Nears Global Reserve Status: “There Will Be a Reset of the Financial Industry” 2015-05-29 11:26
- Stocks Began Falling Right At This Time Of The Year Just Prior To The Last Financial Crisis 2015-05-29 00:32
- Rand Paul: ‘Disingenuous’ Obama Can Stop NSA Spying Any Time He Wants 2015-05-26 22:11
- Wealthy Installing “Safe Rooms” to Prepare for Civil Unrest? 2015-05-26 21:34
- Obama Usurps Local Police With Fake “Ban” on Militarization 2015-05-26 21:28
- RIP: Over 100 newspapers dumped in year, ads down 50%, circulation hits bottom 2015-05-26 01:36
Kazreti: A city that does not exist?2012-08-20 16:17
The city of Kazreti is famous for its mountain mines starting from the Soviet era. They extract here even precious metal - gold. In addition, Kazreti, which is included in Bolnisi municipality, is also an important agricultural region of Georgia with a mild climate and fertile soil. You can harvest here twice and sometimes three times a year. However, the usefulness of this crop is doubtful. And the guilt for this is on the neighboring mines, the owners of which are not always as precious as those metals they are extracting.
After Georgia became independent, the owners of local quarries have changed many times. For example, in 1995, they were the Australian entrepreneurs. In 2007, they (quarries) were acquired by Russian company "Industrial Investors". And now, the owner of the Kazreti quarries is "Capital Group". JSC "Madneuli" and LLC "Quartzite" are working here. They were bought by the "Capital Group".
Foreign shareholders have always concerned of their own pocket, rather than the environment. To date, the level of contamination of soil and water in Kazreti has twenty times exceeded the standard. But they are foreigners: they live far away, do not drink the local water and do not breathe the local air. But the behavior of the Georgian authorities is quite surprising.
March 20, 2012, the Georgian parliament amended the law on the protection of the environment. Now, having paid fines or penalties imposed for pollution of nature, the entrepreneur gets a blank check allowing polluting the environment as much as you want. Those who have paid fine they are unpunishable any more. We have discussed this absurd legalization of ecocide with the leader of the "Green Party" of Georgia Gia Gachechiladze.
- Mr. Gachechiladze, we know that your party has repeatedly organized protests against the barbarous treatment of the environment in the Bolnisi region. Are there any results?
- As you know, on March 20, 2012, the Parliament amended the Law on Environmental Protection, which completely lifts the liability from the perpetrators. And on May 15, 2012, the Ministry of Energy and Natural Resources of Georgia signed an agreement with the Russian company "Capital Group" - the owners of the company "Madneuli" and of "Quartzite". According to this document, the entrepreneurs have paid over 13 million lari for the harm caused to the nature and population of the Bolnisi district. Despite our protests, the law remains in effect. This is absurd. Unprecedented in the world. And I believe that the government has adopted this law to protect foreign investors from our attacks, and to earn some money at the same time.