- China Nears Global Reserve Status: “There Will Be a Reset of the Financial Industry” 2015-05-29 11:26
- Stocks Began Falling Right At This Time Of The Year Just Prior To The Last Financial Crisis 2015-05-29 00:32
- Rand Paul: ‘Disingenuous’ Obama Can Stop NSA Spying Any Time He Wants 2015-05-26 22:11
- Wealthy Installing “Safe Rooms” to Prepare for Civil Unrest? 2015-05-26 21:34
- Obama Usurps Local Police With Fake “Ban” on Militarization 2015-05-26 21:28
- RIP: Over 100 newspapers dumped in year, ads down 50%, circulation hits bottom 2015-05-26 01:36
Chichilaki brings holiday to Georgian houses2012-12-28 16:10
So, a little over 50 hours have left till the New Year. Humans have two days in order to complete the final preparations and worthily celebrate the New Year. If everything's done correctly, the black water snake will favor you all next year. We'll tell you about how the Georgians celebrate the New Year in Tbilisi in a reporting from the Palace of Sports Square.
Around the statue of the Olympian god near the Palace of Sports, there has been established a real fair. Here you can buy everything for the New Year - from Christmas decorations to churchkhela. But the main attribute of the winter holiday this is definitely Christmas tree. And in Georgia there are 2 varieties of New Year tree. Here, at the fair, they are close - evergreen, spruce that looks rather daily in the light of curly chichilaki.
Two ladies shop assistants from Zugdidi have just sold a chichilaki for 30 lari. This is a planed walnut branch about three meters in height.
- Happy New Year! How many days have you been selling Christmas trees?
- Today is the fourth day.
- What people buy more often - chichilaki or the fir trees?
- This year, perhaps chichilaki is more popular. People buy the fir trees as well. But basically they take small trees, for 20-30 GEL.
A seller interferes into conversation. He is from Batumi and speaks Turkish.
- It's 3 pm now. I have sold a total of 10 green trees, whereas last year I used to sell about 30-40 trees for over half an hour.
- Do you mean that people have less money?
- No, no (he laughs). I mean this year, the Georgians prefer national tree.
Just at that moment, a woman wishing to buy a spruce approaches as if to refute him.
- Are you ready to celebrate the New Year? What will you do?
- As usual, with my family at the holiday table.
- Do you want to buy a fir tree? Why not chichilaki?
- I have already bought chichilaki. We have purchased it first. You know, the kids love it more. We decorate it with edible toys. And the older guys prefer the fir tree.
- What should be on the table in a New Year's Eve?
- Satsivi, certainly. This is a chicken in a walnut-garlic thick sauce. We also love gomi and a pig.
- Can you say how much money you spend on the New Year?
- Well, about 800 GEL together with the gifts. This includes the New Year's table, decorations and gifts to children and grandchildren.