- China Nears Global Reserve Status: “There Will Be a Reset of the Financial Industry” 2015-05-29 11:26
- Stocks Began Falling Right At This Time Of The Year Just Prior To The Last Financial Crisis 2015-05-29 00:32
- Rand Paul: ‘Disingenuous’ Obama Can Stop NSA Spying Any Time He Wants 2015-05-26 22:11
- Wealthy Installing “Safe Rooms” to Prepare for Civil Unrest? 2015-05-26 21:34
- Obama Usurps Local Police With Fake “Ban” on Militarization 2015-05-26 21:28
- RIP: Over 100 newspapers dumped in year, ads down 50%, circulation hits bottom 2015-05-26 01:36
Georgian children speaking in Russian2013-02-20 19:06
Do the Georgians need Russian language? Former Georgian authorities tried to eliminate it. Russia would like to see the Russian language still playing an important role in the cultural life of the neighboring country. Anyway, most of the adult Georgians speak Russian. Now the fate of the Russian language in Georgia is in the hands of the younger generation. Does the youth need the language of their northern neighbor?
We decided to conduct a small study among the middle and high school classes. We inquired about the level of knowledge of the Russian language and the ability to use it in everyday life. Also, we were wondering whether Tbilisi teenagers speak Russian among friends, and if they need it at all.
At first, I resorted to the internet. I wanted to sort out the situation and find out how often young Georgians between 13 and 18 use the Russian-language websites. I posted a questionnaire on my page on a social network (of course, in Russian). The result, as expected, proved to be quite modest. Only a couple of the respondents responded to my request.
For example, Natalie Reiser. She is studying at the English College "Nino" in Tbilisi, from seventh grade. "We study Russian language from the fifth grade, but in ordinary schools they study it for 2-3 years later. Yes, I need Russian. In my family we speak Russian. This also applies to most of my friends and acquaintances. I think generally I speak Russian rather than Georgian. In Tbilisi schools, they learn Russian as a foreign language. For me, it is native. Most of the children in my school have lost interest in the Russian language, they consider it very difficult. For me this language is very necessary and important".
It turns out that most of my respondents are the children from mixed families, in which the Russian language is stronger than in the ethnically Georgian environment.
Anna Shcherbina is just from a mixed family. Both of her parents speak Russian. "My mother is Circassian, and my dad has a mixture of Slavic and Georgian blood. I go to a private school "Creative Education school of Tbilisi". I'm in 12th grade. I need Russian. I hear it often enough. Although I attend Georgian school, 5% of my fellow students understand Russian only at the household level, and the remaining 95% know it sufficiently. Absolutely all teachers also speak it".