Ivanishvili will save Mishiko from death25.10.2011 | 14:57
Billionaire Bidzina Ivanishvili received another warning from the Georgian authorities. Employee of his Moscow office Valery Levin was arrested at the entrance to Georgia. They have "found" a substance very similar to the radioactive material on him.
This time it really looked ridiculous. On arrival in Tbilisi, border policemen have carefully searched the citizen of Russia Valery Levin, who works in a group of companies "Unicor" belonging to Bidzina Ivanishvili. Levin was carrying a lot of different things, in the first place - all sorts of documents. The opposition oligarch is busy with procedure of renunciation of citizenship of the Russian Federation, and by the way, he risks to remain only a citizen of France. He was already deprived of Georgian citizenship, he's refusing from Russian citizenship.
In addition to documents, Levin was carrying magazine "Power of Stones" for the 14-year-old daughter of Ivanishvili. This magazine, as an application, includes some rocks and minerals which tycoon's daughter has been collecting a few years. Customs employees considered this rocks and minerals as radioactive materials. It turns out that either customs workers are idiots, or it really was the last warning for the oligarch. Indeed, in this case we are already talking about children of Bidzina Ivanishvili. We asked one of the leaders of the Republican Party Levan Berdzenishvili to tell about what is happening.
- In this particular case it is about 14-year-old child, who allegedly would have got the radioactive substance. And this is not the first time that the whole situation is ridiculous. How do you think what is the real reason why the authorities do it this way?
- It does look funny. But the goal - to show people that the authorities are not asleep, they are on guard, that they won't allow a situation when they would have lost their toy under the name Georgia. This was not in order to somehow put pressure on Ivanishvili, because they can't strangle him this way. I think that they have not run out a fantasy. But I suppose that on the part of the authorities we'll soon see new, more meaningful and more stringent steps.
- You said that so far the authorities have no possibility to do any damage to Ivanishvili. Do they have other means that will really damage the oligarch?
- Yes, of course. They will try to do it. But there won't be a game with only one goal. I think that Mr. Ivanishvili also has got some methods of struggle. All actions against the business of Ivanishvili will also hit business interests of the structures close to the government. Everything is quite interconnected. The authorities think that they will play with only one goal, but they are wrong.
- On the surface it seems that it must have very bad influence on the image of Georgia. The power does not understand this?
- I think the authorities have seen that the diplomatic corps has met with Bidzina Ivanishvili, and they do not like this. But they have no other choice, even though it can be costly for the country.
- It's obvious, the campaign of harassment Ivanishvili plays into his hands. Maybe that's a kind of a plan?
- I think Ivanishvili is promoting himself during the last two weeks. This is the main topic for Georgian society - even eclipsed the Sarkozy's visit. Objectively, the power helps him by its antics, but it's not one game: the government and Ivanishvili have different plans.
-Why the authorities are so scared of Ivanishvili? His approval rating does not go beyond the statistical error.
- They know that Ivanishvili has another rating - the rating of trust. And only he has such a high rating of trust in society. Only two people - the patriarch and he - have so much weight in Georgia. And now the question is, if this rating of trust becomes political or not. But noone has measured this rating yet. We have no objective data on this point. Perhaps his political rating is even higher than the rating of trust. Because many people want to consider him as a man who is able to save the country from the power of Saakashvili.
- What does such a rabid interest to Bidzina Ivanishvili in Georgian society mean? The people really want to see an alternative to the current regime?