Saakashvili Flees from Baghaturia05.03.2012 | 20:20
Georgian President's recent speech in parliament was followed by a grandiose scandal. The whole country watched the squabble between the Georgian leader and opposition deputy Jondi Baghaturia. According to numerous witnesses, Baghaturia won. These days he is the idol for the Georgians. In an interview to GTimes, Jondi Baghaturia commented Saakashvili's behavior.
"Mr. President. Your declaration of the estate was filled on February 3, 2004, when you became president. That time you had a modest apartment, worth 95 000 GEL, registered in the name of your wife, an account in the amount of 9500 Euros in the bank the Societe Generale, 3500 euro on the account of your wife in Georgian TBC Bank, as well as the Russian car "UAZ" (Willis). Neither you nor your family members possessed any other assets at that time. Your father was an ordinary qualified doctor, your mother - a Research Fellow; your brothers had no business assets. And now you are President of Georgia, one of the richest men in the country. You control almost the entire production of minerals, you have the advertising business,
and the TV company "Rustavi 2" registered in the name of your classmate. Your father is in charge for all spa resort, and mother became rector of the country's largest Technical University ... ", - this is the speech by Jondi Baghaturia, the leader of the opposition party "Kartuli Dasi", after which President Mikhail Saakashvili left the parliament.
- Your scandal with Saakashvili is the most discussed topic in Georgia. Tell us more about it.
- Leaders of all nations know Saakashvili's deed. His politicking is over. In the hall of the parliament, in live air, the MP accuses the president of corruption and the president immediately starts to call names, threaten, and then just ran away from the hall. What does this mean? Saakashvili began his response with indecent utterances. I urged him to be correct, but he could not resist and fled from the hall. Security followed him.
- You have expressed the president lots of claims. Which ones seem most important to you?
- Under the law, Saakashvili is no longer eligible to participate in the elections. But they have monopolized the whole political system. Today he also has a good deal of money. He is one of the richest men in Georgia. They have black money, a huge budget and administrative resources. They own the central channels. This man has everything in order not to give up power as long as he wants. I have specifically made this statement because I wanted to show that neither his father nor mother, nor brothers have ever had private business. Now Saakashvili has made a fortune quickly, and the state has become impoverished. Even his ministers who are from poor families have enriched themselves. But Saakashvili claims that they are living in poverty even now.
- Do you have concrete evidence that Saakashvili has made a fortune during his working president?
- I plan to get the public acquainted with a single legislative initiative of the opposition, the meaning of which is to create a parliamentary judicial commission that will study business of the president, his family and his entourage.