- Muslims Reject US Commandments 2015-05-29 11:11
- This Time It Is Different 2015-05-29 00:28
- The Elite Have A Great Fear Of Death 2015-05-26 22:21
- Senior NATO Official: “We’ll Probably be at War This Summer” 2015-05-25 23:54
- The US Created ISIS 2015-05-25 23:49
- America’s Survival Depends on Stopping Jade Helm 2015-05-23 23:39
- Wahhabis have appeared in Georgia? 2013-05-28 17:15
- Why dollar is cheapening in Georgia? 2013-05-27 18:56
- Burjanadze is riding high again 2013-05-23 14:23
- Justice vs. cohabitation 2013-05-20 19:43
- Azerbaijan prefers Russia to Georgia? 2013-05-18 12:14
- George Margvelashvili: Decent president instead of a sadist 2013-05-16 15:33
- Barisakho: Other world in Georgian mountains 2013-05-15 16:34
- "President Saakashvili gave Targamadze directives" 2013-05-14 20:04
Mass protests in Tbilisi21.09.2012 | 15:50
Mass protests in Tbilisi are continuing. Today, at least 10,000 people took to the streets of Tbilisi, demanding government's resignation. They have walked from the building of Philharmonic to the building of the Office of the Government.
Interview with Zaza Davitaia, journalists, human rights activist.
- Mister Zaza, as an active defender
- Nothing happens accidently. Resentment has accumulated in the society over time. We collected information for years, recording the stories of the prisoners, their relatives and their lawyers. Prison officials used methods of violence. Relatives and lawyers of the prisoners had look at bruises on their faces and bodies. But until now, there was no visual material, and this always works perfectly. A picture is worth a thousand words. People saw it and got conviced. of the rights of prisoners and former political prisoner, you are well aware of atrocities in the penitentiary institutions of Georgia. Why such a strong reaction takes place right now?
-If it is so easy to record this, (the video clearly shows that employees are aware that they are being shot), then why no one shot it until now?
- No, it was not so
- The media has information that the beatings and abuse, we have seen on the "Channel 9", were staged and recorded by a member of the coalition "Georgian Dream", working in the prison. What do you think about this?easy. The video was shot by prison official. We assume that conscience woke up in this man and he decided to do something. In my opinion this is a very bold move on his part.
- We cannot talk about frame-up. There are lawyers who have identified those employees who had been committing beatings prior to this; they were regularly doing this. And it doesn't matter who has taken the video away. The main thing is that it has found the audience. The name of the person who has committed such a dangerous and courageous step is unknown; we know only that he has taken the video out of the country and sent it from abroad.
- Still, public reaction was immediate. A little time has passed between the spread of the video by the "Channel 9" and TV "Maestro" and protests in Tbilisi. One gets the feeling that it was organized by some forces.
- An important role was played by social networks. There is no organizer: you see that the protest is spontaneous. Yes, there are active participants. They become active at the spot to somehow manage the process. Organizations and political parties have joined the protest. There are representatives of civil organizations.
- Who was the initiator of the route, from the Philharmonic to the Office?
- The citizens have decided this themselves.
- Will the spread of this video affect the upcoming election?
- Of course. We are waiting for the mass resignation. I hope this won't spoil the upcoming election. Now this protest is against the Fascist regime.
Georgia citizens are rather well grounded in politics today, and today's events prove that civil society, capable to decide in which country they want to live, has matured in Georgia.