- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
PACE regards early presidential elections in Georgia as unreasonable2009-04-30 13:41
PACE monitoring committee studied situation in Georgia and concluded that conducting early presidential elections in the country is unreasonable - RosBalt.gt-en-newsitem-inside
At the same time, in its final document the Council of Europe accepts the right of citizens to express their position in regard to the government. CE parliamentarians also worry about the opposition forces of Georgia's belief that the power can be shifted only with the help of rallies and demarches, but not as a result of normal democratic processes.
The Council of Europe urged political parties to start negotiations with the authorities immediately and without preconditions, and start work on changing the Electoral Code.
Yesterday PACE adopted two resolutions; one of them concerns the humanitarian situation in Abkhazia and South Ossetia after the August conflict. Despite Russia's protest, the word "occupation" is used to denote the presence of Russian armed forces in Abkhazia and South Ossetia.
Russia managed to persuade PACE to exclude the information on forced passport issuing to Georgians in Gali region of Abkhazia and Akhalgori region of South Ossetia. Nevertheless, Georgian parliamentarians are content with the resolution as all the important points Tbilisi insisted on, were preserved.
The next session of PACE will be held on June 25th . The issue of Russia' s implementation of the obligations it took will be discussed one more time.