- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
Opposition refused to work on Constitution with Saakashvili2009-05-12 16:06
Georgian opposition will not participate in working out the new constitutional model, defining the authorities of power bodies, a number of opposition leaders stated today - Novosti-Gruzia.gt-en-newsitem-inside
"The opposition parties comprising April 9 action organizers' staff, believe that only Mikheil Saakashvili' resignation and calling early presidential elections will drive the country out of political crisis" Eka Beselia said in Rustavi 2 air.
"Our political team and other parties believe that establishing a commission for constitutional reforms and a group working on amendments to the Electoral Code, will not drive the country out of crisis, but will complicate the situation even more," she said.
At the same time, parliamentary opposition believes the President's proposal acceptable.
Georgi Akhvlediani, the Christian-Democrats opposition parliamentary fraction stated that main authority on ruling the country must be granted to the Parliament.
"We must create a model, in accordance with which the Parliament will elect the President, a person outside parties, who will have mainly representative functions. At the same time, the President will have the authority to be the arbiter when considering specific critical and problematic situations ", he said.
"We campaign for adopting a practically new Constitution; the process of its creation must involve both representatives of political forces and professional experts and specialists. This opinion must be presented for referendum to obtain legitimization of the whole society", Akhvlediani stated.
"Then going out of dozens of thousands in the streets will no longer be needed for decreasing tension of a political crisis ", he added.