- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
Today opposition intends to block central highways of Tbilisi2009-05-21 10:33
David Gamkrelidze, one of the Alliance for Georgia leaders, urged all opposition supporters to gather today at noon on Republic Square in Tbilisi. Opposition intends to fulfill its threat and block central highways.gt-en-newsitem-inside
The decision was made after a number of incidents on Tuesday evening and Wednesday: policemen detained and took away over 20 cars of opposition activists and supporters.
In all the cases police said the reason was breaking rules of road; whereas the opposition claims exactly the cars participated in action near Interior Ministry on Tuesday and blocked Kakheti highway, were detained.
According to the Alliance for Georgia press service, that Gamkrelidze was driving in direction of Tsavkisi settlement, when unknown people, dressed in police uniform, attacked him and took his car away illegally.
The Interior Ministry spread its own version of the incident: at 10 a.m., in settlement Tsavkisi policemen stopped a Mercedes driving with the violation of road rules, and decided to transport it to a pound. David Gamkrelidze came to place and resisted the transportation: he got into a police car and stayed there for about an hour. As he was impeding the policemen, they got him out of the car by force.
At the rally Gamkrelidze said that policemen got very afraid and ran away when people gathered at the place of the incident and protested.
In his view, President Saakashvili and Interior Minister Merabishvili went beyond any law and behave like criminals.