- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
Gilauri: protest actions will lead to decrease of GDP2009-06-01 17:45
The government of Georgia states the so-called "street practice" [opposition protest actions] will lead to GDP contract by 1.5 per cent.gt-en-newsitem-inside
According to PM Nika Gilauri, in 2008 this index amounted 2.1 per cent, and owing to the reforms the global financial crisis didn't influence Georgia much in 2008.
1 per cent of GDP growth was expected in the first quarter of 2009, in the second this indication was expected to decease slightly due to the influence of the global crisis and internal natural reasons, but owing to fiscal stimulation and reforms, conducted in the previous years, the government hoped for increase of investment flows, in result of the increase of GDP in the third and the fourth quarters the year 2009 must ended with small, but positive indication, the PM explained.
"The first quarter was normal but then everything was spoiled in April and May due to the street protests ... Due to the political crisis in the country we have basically lost the first half of the year", he said.
He said the situation decreased trust of both foreign investors and local businessmen, import and export, turnover of enterprises decreased; the hopes for luring investments in the second quarter failed, Gilauri said and expressed hope the government would ensure the growth of budget via donor aid and increase of non-tax incomes.
The PM highlighted that the government will overcome all the political hardships in case of the political stability in the country.