- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
European Parliament deputy called the elections in South Ossetia a model of democracy2009-06-03 15:14
European parliament member Giulietto Chiesa took part in the parliamentary elections in South Ossetia held on May 31rd , and regards them as a model of democracy.gt-en-newsitem-inside
"Everything is normal. International standards have been very clearly satisfied. I believe it is a very high demonstration of maturity. In this particular situation, the most important [thing] is the participation of people. And that is a fact. There's a large participation and people wanted to show that they believe in their independence," he said - Russia Today.
He added that he participated as an observer in elections in Iraq, Afghanistan, Palestina, but the level of organization he saw in South Ossetia, pleasantly surprised him.
The MP reminded that Western countries recognized parliamentary elections in Afghanistan and Iraq, though these were held with more significant violations. He expressed the view that recognition of elections in south Ossetia would be just.
Chiesa believes that talks of Western politicians about rigging elections farfetched. In his view, in such a small country as South Ossetia any facts of rigging would be known very soon. He added that people are interested in having own parliament as it could be a way of self-defense, decreasing chances of being attacked.