- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
Caucasus 2009 maneuvers begin in South-West of Russia2009-06-29 10:43
Today in South Western region of Russia tactical and strategical maneuvers Caucasus 2009 begin. 8 500 military servicemen will participate, 200 tanks, 450 military machines, 250 artillery installations will be used, ITAR TASS informs alluding to Alexander Drobyshevskiy, the Ministry of Defense of Russia spokesman.gt-en-newsitem-inside
He told the maneuvers will be managed by General Nikolai Makarov, the Chief of the General Staff. The drills will include a number of tactical scale exercises aimed to assess the operational and mobilization readiness of troops deployed in the region.
One of the aims will be improvement of cooperation with other troops and executive power bodies of the Southern Federal district, Drobyshevskiy explained. According to the spokesman, the scenario of the drills includes a significant volume of actions of the troops in conditions of gradual aggravation of the situation - from crisis situations to armed conflicts. The units will be trained to provide the state of emergency, conducting counter-terrorist operation, managing units in the course of terrorist chiefs, centres and bases elimination.
The wide range of measures to ensure security of civilians, important transport communications and economic interests in the region will be tried. According to the Land Forces staff, two brigade tactical drills and a number of battalion tactical one will be held with instruction practice. According to the same source, 4th and 7th Russian military bases in South Ossetia and Abkhazia will participate, in particular, in staff exercises and episodes of training combat actions.