- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
UN is ready to help the runaway soldier Artemiyev2009-07-02 16:20
The UN will help Dmitri Artemiyev, the soldier who fled to Georgia - as well as any other seeker of asylum in that country, but the issue falls under responsibilities of the Georgian authorities, the representative service of the High Commissioner's office - RIA Novosti.gt-en-newsitem-inside
They added that the UN redirected the soldier to the Ministry for Refugee Issues. According to the UN, they can be involved in the issue only if his rights are violated.
On July 1st Private Dmitri Artemiyev left the North Caucasus military district unit, deployed in locality of Perevi (Dzhava region, Republic of South Ossetia). The military serviceman crossed the Georgian-South Ossetian border and turned to the authorities of Georgia with a request to grant him the status of a refugee. According to a high-ranking source in the North Caucasus military district, the main reason which made the soldier desert, were acts of violence from the side of his colleagues.
Previously Sergeant Alexander Glukhov left his unit in South Ossetia and came to Georgia. Several days ago he was granted political asylum in Georgia and was got a job in that country.