- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
Caucasus 2009 exercises drawing to a close in the south of Russia2009-07-06 13:06
Today is the last day of Caucasus 2009 operational strategic drills in the south of Russia.gt-en-newsitem-inside
North Caucasus Military District (NCMD) formations and units and a number of branches of the Russian Armed Forces are taking part in the war games.
As Lieutenant Colonel Andrey Bobrun, head of NCMD information and public relations service told ITAR-TASS "the real combat and mobilization readiness of troops deployed in the south western region of Russia will be evaluated" in follow-up of the maneuvers reminding that "the exercises started on June 29 in accordance with the Russian Armed Forces training plan under command of General of the Army Nikolay Makarov, Chief of Russian Joint Staff". During exercises the troops were ready to fulfill both training and combat tasks aimed at liquidation of actual terrorists.
Caucasus-2009 drills involved formations and units of the district as well as interacting and operatively subordinate structures - the Air and Air Defense armies, the Caspian Fleet, Novorossiysk naval base, the Federal Security Service border unit in Southern Federal District, North Caucasus regional command of the Interior Ministry troops and airborne forces", - Bobrun specified.
Total numerical strength of the troops engaged in operational-strategic exercises was around 8,500. Approximately 200 tanks, 450 armored vehicles 250 artillery pieces of various caliber were used for the drills plus over 30 striking, fighter and military transport aircrafts and helicopters. The exercises were held in the Krasnodar and Stavropol Territories, Astrakhan, Volgograd, and Rostov Regions, the Republics of North Ossetia-Alania, Ingushetia and Dagestan, as well as in Karachai-Cherkessia and the Chechen Republic.