- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
Number of political prisoners in Georgia grows2009-08-06 10:12
At the present moment over 100 people are being imprisoned for dissent, said yesterday Nana Kakabadze, a well-known human rights activist, head of Ex-Political Prisoners for Human Rights - The Vzglyad.gt-en-newsitem-inside
According to Kakabadze, dozens were arrested in latest months for participation in opposition actions. She noted that they are recognized as political prisoners by authoritative international human rights organizations.
At the same time, the Georgian authorities do not admit the existence of political prisoners in the country, Kakabadze underlined. According to her data, the number of prisoners in Georgia officially counts 19 000, unofficially - 25 000.
Under previous rules that number amounted approximately 7 000.