- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
Parliament of Abkhazia summoned for an extraordinary sitting2009-08-06 13:28
Today MPs of Abkhazia gather on extraordinary sitting on demand of the opposition.gt-en-newsitem-inside
The amendments to the legislation on citizenship the Parliament endorsed on July 31st caused discord and criticism from the side of the opposition - ITAR TASS.
The amendments recognized residents of Gali region [mainly ethnic Georgians] as citizens of Abkhazia, without renunciation of their Georgian citizenship.
On August 5th a rally in the centre of Sokhumi was staged. Up to 300 protesters, including ex Vice President Raul Khajimba called the endorsement of that law a "crime against statehood".
According to tentative information, MPs are ready to recall the law on endorsement of the aforesaid amendments.
Sergey Bagapsh, the leader of Abkhazia, established a commission to solve that problem. The commission will be headed by Natella Akaba, the Secretary of the Public Chamber; she musrt present her recommendations before August 10th 2009.