- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
Hackers attacked social networks on the threshold of August war anniversary2009-08-07 11:51
Twitter, a popular microblogging service, was offline most part of July 6th . Livejournal and YouTube, were also attacked, but suffered less - RosBalt.gt-en-newsitem-inside
The attack may be connected with the coming anniversary of the war in South Ossetia, The New York Times reports citing to Bill Woodcock, the expert in Internet traffic.
Woodcock, the research director of the Packet Clearing House, a nonprofit technical organization that tracks Internet traffic, said it's not clear who initiated that DDoS-attack. He supposes that "one side put up propaganda, the other side figured this out and is attacking them." He found evidence that the attack was organized in Abkhazia, which Georgia believes to be its constituent part, whereas Russia - an independent republic.
Mr. Woodcock said the disruptions did not appear to have been caused by a botnet, or network of thousands of malware-infected personal computers. Rather, he said, at about 10:30 a.m. E.S.T., millions of people worldwide received spam e-mail messages containing links to Twitter and other sites. When recipients clicked on the links, those sites were overwhelmed with requests to access their servers. "It's a vast increase in traffic that creates the denial of service," he said.
CNET News, in its turn, states the attacks were directed against user Cyxymu, who had accounts on all the aforesaid cites. His LJ is still off, though a copy of the page is saved in cache of Google. Cyxymu writes it was the attack against him and Georgians in general, and apologizes for all the spam with links to his pages.
The number of twitter users amounted 44.5 mln in June.
In the evening of August 6th [Moscow time] the access to LiveJournal was severed worldwide for approximately 2 hours. At the same time, Google and Facebook managed to protect themselves against hostile actions, though Facebook users were unable to write messages.