- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
Opposition indignant at Akhalaya’s appointment2009-08-28 10:58
Radical opposition believes the appointment of Bacho Akhalaya the Minister of Defense "the beginning of Georgian army's elimination".gt-en-newsitem-inside
Previously opposition repeatedly included him in the list to be dismissed from state service.
"As we see, MIA wasn't enough for Saakashvili to deal shortly with society and opposition, he needs additional force to use the army", said Mamuka Katsitadze, one of the New Rights' leaders.
"Such an odious person like Bacho Akhalaya is needed exactly for working out repression mechanisms," he added.
Salome Zourabishvili, the Way of Georgia head, said that this appointment with the process of trial over the Mukhrovani mutiny on backdrop is humiliation and offense of the Georgian army.
"In this way the Ministry of Defense will be merged with the Interior Ministry, and it contradicts the recognized democratic practice of army depolitization", she explained.
Eka Beselia, the Movement for United Georgia leader, shares the same point of view. "The appointmet of Akhalaya the Minister is a direct message that for the authorities the army is a guarantor not of country's security but own security".