- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
Public Defender to join opposition2009-09-07 11:02
On September 16th Sozar Subari, the Public Defender of Georgia, finishes his 50year term in ombudsman's post and joins opposition - the Vzglyad.gt-en-newsitem-inside
Today Subari confirmed he received the invitation to join Defend Georgia! movement by Levan Gachechiladze. According to ombudsman, "violation of human rights and ignoring laws get a very large scale in the country".
He highlighted that "people are persecuted for dissent, for supporting opposition; businesspeople in sympathy with opposition are politically terrorized". In Subari's view, "the Parliament of Georgia became fictitious".
Subari's term expires on September 16th. No earlier then 60 days before and no later then 30 after the parliament must elect a new Public Defender. On July 31st, at the extraordinary session, he was elected: 32-year old Georgi Tugushi : 88 for, 8 against.
His rival Dimitri Lortkipanidze had 14 votes for and 7 contra.