- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
Over half of refugees in Russia are citizens of Georgia2009-10-16 17:20
According to the territorial bodies of the Federal Migration Service of Russia, in the course of the year requests for refugee status from 2133 citizens were received, over 60 per cent of them are from Georgia - news.am.gt-en-newsitem-inside
The number of foreign citizens, seeking for asylum in Russia, is constantly rising, and doubles since 2007. This year the status was granted to 157 persons, provisional asylum - to 1857 , from 21 country.
Previously Georgia Times reported of the increase of refugees from Georgia, leaving for Russia.
Ekaterina Yegorova, the deputy head of the Federal Migration Service of Russia, mentioned it connected not with the economic situation but rather with persecution by the Georgian authorities. Arriving in Russia, Georgian citizens submit requests on granting refugee status.