- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
Saakashvili accused of organizing campaign against the Patriarch2009-10-22 17:42
Pro-opposition Labour party responded to the campaign of the Liberty Institute NGO against the Catholicos Patriarch Ilia II and the Georgian Orthodox Church.gt-en-newsitem-inside
At today's press conference Georgi Gugava, one of the party leaders, accused President Mikheil Saakashvili and his team of organizing this campaign.
"It's Saakashvili and his team are behind the attempts to discredit the Church, small fries only execute his orders", he commented.
In his view, the struggle against the Orthodox Church began right after the Rose revolution, and mentioned examples.
"Right after the revolution the Ministry of Justice officially registered the sect of Jehovah's Witnesses, then invasion in Gldani diocese took place, its priests were arrested. Special units broke into Dmanissi church, and old church on Peria mountain was ruined. When Mikheil Saakashvili comes to the Holy Trinity Cathedral, priests are always searched there", Gugava said.
In his opinion, the present-day government tries to disintegrate the society and doesn't want the head of church to have such a great authority, therefore they conduct this campaign.