- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
Tbilisi disclaims Georgia’s possible exclusion from WTO2009-10-30 14:35
The government of Georgia strongly denies the possibility of Georgia's exclusion from the World trade Organisation [WTO].gt-en-newsitem-inside
At the same time, the sources behind the scene mention the issue can really be raised in case the government will ignore the EU and WTO recommendations on taxation of tobacco products.
Zaza Chelidze, the deputy Minister of Finance, in his interview t Kommersant radio said the work to settle the issue was in process.
Currently the excise tax for imported tobacco amounts GEL 0.6, for local - GEL 0.4. The organizations regard the existence of different regimes as the discrimination of imported product.
The Georgian Tobacco, one of the big local manufacturers, replied that complying with the demand will lead to decrease of local tobacco industry. The difference in prices for local and foreign cigarettes will also get less, and in such conditions Georgian products won't be able to rival with imported ones.