- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
Georgian opposition reports to US Department of State2009-11-17 16:39
After the meeting with representatives of Georgian NGOs and media the US delegation led by Assistant Secretary of State for Human Rights and Labor Michael Posner held talks with leaders of Georgian opposition in Radisson hotel (Tbilisi).gt-en-newsitem-inside
The talks were attended by Defend Georgia movement leader Levan Gachechiladze, Georgy Targamadze (the Christian Democratic movement), Nino Burdzhanadze (Democratic Movement - United Georgia) and Irakli Alasania (Alliance for Georgia).
As the opposition figures stated problems of democracy in Georgia were discussed at the meeting.
According to Georgy Targamadze, the US delegation is trying to set both short-term and long-term tasks of democracy growth in the country including pluralism in the media, reforms of the Constitution and election laws as well as other issues.
Levan Gachechiladze, too, was satisfied with the meeting remarking that the US delegation had been attentive to what the opposition figures had to say. According to him they touched upon the issues connected with legislative system, situation in the media and police system.
Irakli Alasania remarked the US Department of State backs pursuit of dialogue between the authorities and opposition. Nino Burdzhanadze reported on having provided the US delegation with complete information on the situation in the country.
According to Burdzhanadze she spoke about the problems of political prisoners, persecution of oppositionists and coming elections.
"We expect that after these meetings the representatives of the government will give exact answers to the questions when political prisoners will be released and when the dissident persecution will be over", - Burdzhanadze said.