- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
Tbilisi Mayor’s Office Says No to Rights Defenders’ Rally on November 232009-11-20 16:32
Tbilisi Mayor's office denied Georgian NGOs a rally on November 23 in Rustaveli avenue.gt-en-newsitem-inside
The related notification was submitted to the mayor's office a few days earlier.
As chairman of Ex Political Prisoners for Human Rights NGO Nana Kakabadze told RIA Novosti today the action coincides with the 6th anniversary of the Rose Revolution that took place in Georgia in 2003.
Together with Ex Political Prisoners for Human Rights NGO over twenty other NGOs (including Law for People, 42nd Article of the Constitution, November 7 and others) and public movements were planning to hold rallies.
According to Kakabadze "the reason for denial was that November 23 is a religious holiday (Giorgoba - Saint George's Day, the patron saint of Georgia) and various events are planned to take place in Rustaveli avenue leaving no room for us".
"The aim of the rally was to demonstrate drawbacks of Saakashvili's rule to the people. We planned to organize an exhibition to show publications by various rights defending organizations on various spheres and show films on human rights violations. The people would then have a possibility to ask any questions and join in the debates with rights defenders", - Kakabadze underlined.
Remarkably, the mayor's office considers rally applications for five days so the rights defenders have no time to get a reply to a new application for a rally in a different location.