- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
UN to decide the fate of deserter Khripun2009-12-22 15:24
The UN High Commissioner's Office for Refugees will decide upon the fate of Vitaliy Khripun, the Russian soldier, asking for political asylum in Georgia, said Georgian Minister for Refugees and Resettlement Koba Subeliani- Interfax.gt-en-newsitem-inside
He explained the decision will be made within 4 months. "At the present moment he has the status of refugee status seeker. It's planned to hold 7 interviews with him, in the presence of UN High Commissioner's for Refugees representative. The decision will be made after that", the Minister said. Subeliani mentioned the decision will be made by the UN, as in case it's made by the Georgian side, the serviceman's life can be put in danger, and all the responsibility would be imposed on the Georgian side.
Warrant-officer Vitaliy Khripun left his military unit in yesterday, fled to Georgia and requested the political asylum.
He said he served in border guard forces of the FSS of Russia in Sinaguri, where he arrived on December 9th.
He's from Murmansk, aged 25, single, has mother and sister.
He said he left because of disagreement with commandment. "The orders given, especially after the demolition of the monument, humiliate dignity of both Georgian and Ossetian people. It's humiliation in the verbal plan, no physical. There's also corruption, bribes in army," he said.
He added he hadn't shared his plans, though had had many thinks-alike in his unit.
"No-one wants to serve in South Ossetia... All are waiting for the end of the 2 years. After that everyone will be returning", the warrant officer said.
Criminal case over his desertion started.