- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
Georgian opposition demands freeing the prisoners again2010-04-30 11:57
A meeting with the participation of members of the oppositional parties, non-governmental organizations and other public officials is going to be held in Georgia today. The participants of the meeting will demand releasing political prisoners of the county, GHN reports.gt-en-newsitem-inside
One of the campaign initiators is former Secretary General of movement For Fair Georgia Eka Beselia; she left the party to found her own public organization protecting the illegal prisoners' rights when a criminal case was initiated against her son and brother.
The action initiators underlined that the government is illegally persecuting the citizens on political grounds and the court delivers unfair and ungrounded judgments, which is why there are over 60 political prisoners and several hundreds of illegal prisoners in the country.
"The current toughest situation requires urgent realization of the liberal policy in the field of criminal law, cancellation of the principle of "composedness" of the punishment, announcing public amnesty, giving the prisoners a chance of early parole and pardon", - the disseminated statement of the action initiators goes.
Besides liberating political prisoners, the opposition and the public demand full-scale objective investigation of the facts of violation on the part of the authorities and police committed on November 7, 2007, May 6 and June 15, 2009.