- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
Monument to killed for independency of Georgia opened2010-05-26 16:25
Today, in the Independency Day, the Square of Heroes, President Mikheil Saakashvili opened a memorial to people killed for independency and territorial integrity of the country.gt-en-newsitem-inside
The monument [called the Tower of Heroes] is a 51-meter tall construction with prisms of resin glass - RIA Novosti.
Names of people who were killed in fights with the Red Army in February 1921, ruled the anti-Soviet mutiny in 1924, perished in wars in Abkhazia in 1992-1993 and conflict in South Ossetia in August 2008 are engraved in prisms - about 4000 names.
"On the monument, alongside with names, written in gold names, there are blank spaces. I dream these will never be filled... We must do everything do let new names be added. But we must be ready to put the uniform on and... in the crucial moment take arms... Everyone must be ready to perish on own land to let our names fill in the blank spaces of the monument. It's a genetic code of our country and it's the experience of our history. It's the main guarantee of our future", Saakashvili said at the opening ceremony.
The author of the monument is a Spanish designer Alberto Domingo Cabo.