- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
Salome Zourabishvili hails Alasania’s decision2010-05-28 18:43
Salome Zourabishvili, the chairperson of the Way of Georgia pro-opposition party, sees Irakli Alsania's decision as right - GHN. He intends to leave the position of the Alliance for Georgia leader in case of his victory in Tbilisi Mayor's elections.gt-en-newsitem-inside
"Alasania's decision is very right, because if you're a Mayor, you must be people's Mayor, but not own alliance's or party's".
"This decision of Alasania is the first state decision," he underlined. "The mayor of Tbilisi must be the mayor of all Tbilisi residents and champion of their interests. That's what, unfortunately, hasn't already understood the President, who has been serving interests of own party up to the present moment," she said and added Alasania's quitting won't provoke the disintegration of the alliance.
Irakli Alasania announced his decision in the air of Imedi TV company today. He said he would be a non-partisan Mayor, representing interests of all Tbilisi residents.
Local self-governance bodies' elections take place this Sunday, on May 30th. The same day direct elections of Tbilisi Mayor will be held - for the first time. Previously Tbilisi Mayors were appointed by the President.
Nine candidates run for Tbilisi Mayor, including the present-day Mayor Giorgi Ugulava. He was nominated by the ruling part, the United National Movement.