- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
EU worried about situation at Georgian-Abkhazian border2010-06-08 12:34
Today the EUMM in Georgia issued a special statement claiming anxiety over incidents in Gali region of Abkhazia, bordering on Georgia.gt-en-newsitem-inside
"The EU Monitoring Mission is concerned about reports of recent incidents in Gali district which have resulted in the deaths of three local officials, injuries to others, various detentions and reports of some homes being set on fire.
This is a rapidly changing situation and the details remain unclear. As EUMM has no direct access to the area, it can not ascertain the exact nature or dynamics of these incidents. Whilst local investigations are underway though, it is very important that all sides refrain from comments that could further increase tension in the area. Restraint is needed to ensure that the confidence of the local population is not harmed and stability not endangered.
The EUMM also believes that a meeting between all the relevant authorities on both sides of the Abkhazian administrative boundary line is necessary as soon as possible to ensure co-operation in resolving this situation," the document published at the official site of the EUMM, says.
Several day ago Maxim Gvinjia, the Foreign Minister of Abkhazia, demanded the EUMM take their responsibilities more seriously. "Terrorist acts are conducted in Gali region with the connivance of international organisations, many of them in Georgia," he said.
On June 4th, in Rep settlement a head of local administration was killed. The car of Dmitry Katsia was fired by three submachine guns.
Previously in Dikhazurga settlement of Gali region a car with customs emplyees came under fire, one killed, two wounded.