- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
Latvia refused to support Georgia2008-11-26 13:46
Latvia denied Georgia's appeal to boycott the Olympic Games of 2014 in Sochi, said Andris Teikmanis, Latvian ambassador to Moscow, at today's press conference in RIA-Novosti.gt-en-newsitem-inside
"As for the Olympic Games, we are not going to relinquish our participation in the Olympics. Sport is peace, as it sung in the Olympic anthem. Let sportsmen do sports", - said the diplomat in response to the question, whether Latvia was going to support the idea of Georgian MPs of moving the Olympics from Sochi.
Many members of Latvian Parliament share this point of view.
According to Ivan Klementiev, Latvian MP, Olympic champion and member of subcommittee of sports, the Olympics of 2014 in Sochi cannot be used in politic games.
"Pierre de Coubertin, the initiator of modern Olympics, said that sport is the ambassador of peace. Any attempts to use Olympic Games to settle political accounts are inadmissible", - Klemeniev said.
According to the MP, the first to suffer from such initiatives are sportsmen.
Let us remind, the day before Georgian parliamentary committee of sports and youth appealed to Latvian Seim subcommittee of sports and asked for support the idea of moving winter Olympics 2014 from Sochi.