- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
Georgia will be seeking for new ways to join NATO2008-11-26 15:54
Georgia "should not concentrate much on receiving MAP (Membership Action Plan), but find other, more effective ways to join the alliance", announced today in Tbilisi Temur Iakobashvili, Georgian State Minister for Reintegration.gt-en-newsitem-inside
"Some countries didn't need MAP to become NATO member, for example, Poland obtained membership through realization of the Intensive Dialog program", - Iakobashvili pointed out.
Batu Kutelia, the Deputy Minister of Defense, shared the same opinion. According to Kutelia, Tbilisi would continue "cooperation with NATO is the formats and programs the administration of the alliance can offer". William Taylor, the US ambassador to the Ukraine, said of "overpolitizing" the process of receiving MAP. "All this process of joining MAP is no longer urgent. It's so overpolitized and contradictory that, possibly, we should renounce it. There are other ways to get to the next stage - membership in the alliance ", - the ambassador said.
Georgia expressed the desire to join NATO in 1999. Since that time Georgia has participated in various programs of cooperation with the alliance, but MAP for Georgia remains an open question.
According to ITAR-TASS, the USA started a campaign on accelerated admission of Georgia and the Ukraine. In recent two days Condoleezza Rice conducted a number of "intensive phone negotiations" with NATO member countries Foreign Affairs Ministers to ensure Georgia and the Ukraine joining without MAP procedure.