- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
Ex-President of Georgia: demolition of Stalin monument is inadmissible2010-06-25 15:59
According to Eduard Shevardnandze, the ex-President of Georgia, demolition of Stalin monument in Gori is inadmissible - RIA Novosti. "History can't be changed through destruction and smearing monuments, - he noted. - by the way, it was Stalin's phrase: "Hitlers come and go, but German people, German state - remain". Late at night a Stalin monument was removed from central square of Gori city [Georgia]. According to information of municipal authorities, today it will be moved to the museum of Stalin - Georgia Times correspondent.gt-en-newsitem-inside
The demolition lasted about 3 hours. For all that time the centre was cordoned by police. Part of the population approved these actions, but some protested overtly. Many were indignant about keeping the demolition in secret.
Instead of the monument, a memorial to killed in August war of 2008 and victims of Stalinist repressions. The Ministry of Culture, Monument Protection and Sport of Georgia to declare a contest for the best blueprint of the memorial.