- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
USA to allocate Georgia USD 4 mln for reinforcement of the Parliament2010-07-01 12:18
The Parliament of Georgia will continue development and reinforcement of relations with the USA. According to the press service of the legislative body, yesterday in Tbilisi a memorandum of understanding was signed between the Georgian Parliament and U.S. government - Georgia Times correspondent.gt-en-newsitem-inside
The document implies implementation of the program of reinforcement of the Parliament, in particular, improvement of interrelations of legislators with electors, favouring more debates on legislative initiatives, transparency of the Parliament's activities and its institutional reform, reinforcement of the Parliament's supervising function.
The USA allocated USD 4 mln for this program. The NDI [National Democratic Institute] and USAID [United States Agency for International Development] will implement it.
Commenting on the inked memorandum, David Bakradze, the Speaker, claimed the implementation of the program will favour institutional and functional reinforcement of the legislative body, its better communications with civil society and NGOs, and also electors.
"It's very important that the views of the Georgian side and our American partners on the role of the Palriament coincide: the Parliament of Georgia must be strong, effective, central element of the Georgian democracy," he said.
John Bass, the U.S. ambassador to Georgia, also underlined the importance of the document, and highlighted the U.S. government highlights support of a very important part of the Georgian democracy - the Parliament.