- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
Israel successfully tested missile defense systems2010-07-20 12:02
The Ministry of Defense of Israel announced a successful completion of tests of the Iron Dome missile defense system, able to intercept simplest reactive missiles, which are the basis of Palestinian and Lebanese militants' arsenals - RIA Novosti.gt-en-newsitem-inside
According to the press release, first two batteries will become operational to November.
The military hope that Iron Dome will be an adequate response to the low-range reactive missiles like Kassam or Katyusha - thousands of them in arsenals of Gaza sector Palestinian groupings and Hezbollah movement [Lebanon].
The stimulus for development of the system was the Second Lebanon War of 2006 , with over 4000 missiles hit the North of Israel and many year-long firings of the South of the country, which became less intensive only after an operation in winter 2008-2009.
The drawback of the Iron Dome is a relatively high cost of every interception - dozen thousands of dollars against several hundred dollars the construction of Kassam costs.