- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
Iceland negotiates with the EU2010-07-27 14:31
Today Iceland starts negotiations on joining the EU - RIA Novosti.gt-en-newsitem-inside
The decision was endorsed at yesterday's sitting of the EU Council in Brussels.
At the pinnacle of financial crisis Iceland submitted an application on joining the EU and eurozone. Many EU citizens were clients of Icelandic banks, and bankruptcy of the latter can cause economic shock in the EU. This fact favoured inclusion of Iceland in the plan for saving the baking sector.
Iceland is a member of visa-free Shengen and united European economic zone. Nevertheless, some issues should be agreed on - like quotes for fishing division, prohibition of hunting whales, compensations of EU citizens aggrieved in result of Icelandic banks' bankruptcy .
Negotiations can be finished in record-shattering period, and by early 2012 it can become the 28th EU member.