- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
Dozens of thousands of orthodox Georgian paid tribute to 100 thousand martyrs2010-11-13 16:40
Dozens of thousands of orthodox Georgians gathered on Saturday on Metekhsky Bridge in Tbilisi. Patriarch of Georgia Ilia II offered a prayer in commemoration of 100 thousand Georgian martyrs, Interfax reports.gt-en-newsitem-inside
100 thousand Georgians were killed by order of Khoresm shah Jelal ed-Din. Their crime was that they refused to cross the bridge, stepping on the icons of Christ and Blessed Virgin. Those Christians who refused to take part in the blasphemy were beheaded, their bodies having been thrown into Kura River.
The patriarch called upon the religious not to forget the fearless deeds of the killed martyrs.
"Georgia should be proud of the heroism of its ancestors who did not give up their belief and remained faithful to the end. There is no example of such heroism in other people's history, which fact fills our hearts with faith", - the Patriarch said.
After the all-people's prayer, flowers were put down into the Kura River near the Metekhsky Bridge, almost fully covering the water.