- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
Saakashvili against early elections2008-12-12 11:04
On Thursday evening, at the meeting with businessmen, Mikhail Saakashvili, the President of Georgia, touched upon the topic of early presidential and parliamentary elections the non-parliamentary opposition demand.gt-en-newsitem-inside
«Conducting elections when the world is enveloped in financial crisis is a suicide. Even in Ukraine, in the light of serious confrontation between Timoshenko and Yushchenko, early elections are avoided», - Saakashvili reminded.
According to Saakashvili, any elections imply considerable expenses, and these sums are spent not on people's welfare but on politics.
To direct further sums to finance early elections, will be, in President's view, unreasonable and wrong. At the same time, he regards dialog of the government with people and opposition as necessary.
Let us remind that the major part of non-parliamentary opposition demands from government early presidential and parliamentary elections in spring 2009. Representatives of the united opposition were the first to touch upon this topic. Their demands are supported by the Laborites and the two recently united into alliance parties: the Republican party and the New Rights party. Former team mates of Saakashvili, including Nino Burjanadze, who joined opposition, claim the necessity to shift power by means of the Constitution.