- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
Tolerant Georgians awarded2010-11-17 13:08
Tolerance Day has been celebrated in Georgia, Echo of Caucasus reports.
In honor of the event, The People's Defender office awarded civil representatives.
Congratulating Georgian Muslims with Kurban-bayram, People's Defender Georgy Tugushi said that Georgians are proud of the multi-century traditions of ethnic and religious tolerance; however, that's not the subject to boast of in XXI century.
"Last year, there were only 25 cases of attacks against representatives of ethnic and religious minorities, while this year, there have been only 10 cases", - the People's Defender said.
Executive director of the Multinational Georgia non-governmental organization Agit Mirzoyev believes that Georgian authorities started focusing more on the problems of civil integration; nevertheless, new tendencies of intolerance to certain social categories have sprung in the society.
"There are facts of attacks and violence against new migrants, ethnic Chinese, which is a new phenomenon for Georgia, for it is developing and becomes attractive for many. We applied to the prosecutor's office on the matter of beating but there hasn't been any official reaction within 4 months", - Mirzoyev stated.
Religious and ethnic councils at the people's defender have announced the person of the year. The title of tolerationist has been given today to cinema expert and publicist Gogi Gvakharia for his many-year fight against stereotypes.
The interethnic council chose human rights defender Emil Adelkhanov.