- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
Georgian people has the right to resort to direct democracy – politician2011-04-11 18:31
If the Georgian authorities refuse to take part in the process of changing the electoral environment, the people have the right to resort to direct democracy. As was reported by GHN, such opinion was expressed today by leader of National Forum Kakha Shartava in an interview to the journalists. "After all, it will be better if it is not sheer power that wins; as for the rest, we'll see...", - said the National forum leader when commenting on the efforts of the Georgian oppositional Group of Eight focused on improving the electoral environment in the country. According to him, the opposition has the right to think about a transaction with the government.gt-en-newsitem-inside
"Whether the opposition will make an agreement with the authorities or not, such assumption is possible. The task is rather complicated. The process of making changes requires some prospect and public, international, political and legal legitimization. Naturally, legitimization is possible if we force the current regime to cooperate in the process of changes", - the politician underlined.
According to him, if such cooperation fails because of the government's refusal, then the people have the right for direct democracy.
Let us remind you that the campaign on electoral environment improvement in Georgia started on the opposition's initiative at the end of this March.