- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
Georgia’s possible joining NATO must be agreed with Russia2009-01-12 11:35
Issue of possible joining of Georgia and Ukraine to NATO must be examined with consideration of opinion and position of Russia, stared Hervé Morin, the Minister of Defense of France in the joint program of RFI (French radio station) and TV-5 (Russian TV channel), ITAR-TASS informs.gt-en-newsitem-inside
"It is impossible to build a contingent of peace and security, totally disregarding the opinion Russia can have", Morin said. "I believe that European countries should ensure establishment of strategic, trust-based partnership with Russia ", he highlighted.
"If you analyze geographic surroundings of Russia, you will understand that this country, for political, as well as diplomatic and economic reasons, is also interested in establishment of strategic, trust-based partnership with Europe, in particular, with the European Union", the French Minister said. "Therefore, NATO expansion must be conducted with consideration of trust relations, being established with Russia", he mentioned.
"I do not even admit the thought that in the course of 10-20 nearest years we will appear unable to establish this trust-based partnership, that both they (Russia) and we equally need ", Morin said.
He reminded that "up to the present time France hasn't supported the idea of Georgia and Ukraine joining NATO ".
France explained its position "in connection with this issue the role and future development of NATO must undergo a serious analysis, as this organization was established to confront the Warsaw Treaty Organization ". It is necessary to determine, "whether NATO is the organization intended exclusively for collective security safeguarding, whether it is a subregional organization, and what its tasks and borders are ", Morin concluded.