- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
Expert: Georgia wants to harm the Olympic Games in Sochi2011-07-04 13:22
Head of Black Sea-Caspian center of the Russian Institute of Strategic Studies Eduard Popov is sure that the Georgia's recognition of genocide of Circassians by Russia is related to a desire of Tbilisi to smear the image of Olympics in Sochi.
"The decision of the Georgian parliament is a form of pressure on Russia in order to sabotage the Olympics in Sochi. The other form is the organization of mass protests of Circassians organizations abroad which are most active in the United States, Canada, Israel" - ITAR-TASS quoted the words of expert.
According to Eduard Popov, activation of the Circassian issue is related to the desire of many Western elites to discredit Russia's image.
He also noted that Georgia's recognition of genocide of the Circassian people should entail many counter-questions - including the issue of responsibility of Tbilisi for the genocide of South Ossetians. "The process of mutual accusations of genocide will continue, the story will overshadow the present and neither Russia nor Georgia, nor the Circassians or the Ossetians will win in this dispute" - said Eduard Popov.
Recall, that on March 20 the Georgian parliament adopted a decision on recognizing the genocide of the Circassian people by Russia in the XIX century.
All the 95 MPs voted "for". Representatives of the parliamentary majority has already stated that this decision is the alleged right of "historical justice".
The document states that Russia "had planned" massacres and forced resettlement of the Circassians in the XIX century.
Recently it was reported that in Georgia there will be established a memorial to the victims of "genocide on the part of Russia" of the Circassian people in the middle of XIX century.
The decision to establish of a memorial has been taken by the Parliament of the Republic. Also in Georgia there will be a special Circassian center.