- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
European Commissioner urges to conduct more effective reforms in Georgia2009-01-21 14:13
Benita Ferrero-Waldner, the European Commissioner for External Relations and European Neighbourhood Policy believes that Georgia, despite all its hardships, sustains its course for democratic relations, bur it needs to conduct more effective reforms, Ferrero-Waldner said one day before her press conference in Tbilisi, Regnum informs.gt-en-newsitem-inside
In the first line, the reforms are necessary in ensuring independency of court system, mass media freedom and cooperation of the administration and the opposition, the European Commissioner said.
According to Ferrero-Waldner, the course of political and economic reforms of Georgia is planned to be discussed at the Eastern Partnership summit to be held on May 7th .
The forum is expected to be held in the "27+6" format. The participants are: the EU member countries and the 6 countries covered by the EU initiative of East expansion: Georgia, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Ukraine, Moldova and Byelorussia. The participants of the meeting will examine the prospective of the mentioned above countries to join the EU, including the possibility of granting them the associate members' status.
It will depend on the effectiveness of the efficiency of the reforms conducted in the countries, the Commissioner highlighted. She mentioned that she supports the EU initiative to allocate additional USD 350 mln to these six countries, though no final decision has been made.