- Mom jailed over refusing son's circumcision makes tough call 2015-05-29 11:56
- Kerry sued over Hillary Clinton’s emails 2015-05-29 09:42
- A Website That Lets You Spy On Millions of People 2015-05-29 02:18
- Social Revolution In Ireland: 62% of Irish Voters Say YES To Gay Marriage 2015-05-29 02:11
- Killer robots will leave humans ‘utterly defenceless’ warns professor 2015-05-29 00:35
- Russian Air Force to Get at Least 50 New Strategic Tu-160 Blackjack Bombers 2015-05-29 00:21
- Chicago cops posed with black suspect wearing deer antlers 2015-05-28 13:40
Georgia regards amendments of Constitution, initiated by Saakashvili, as a farce2009-01-22 12:03
The alliance of the New Rights party and the Republican party believes that the amendments of the Constitution, initiated by President Mikheil Saakashvili, are not manifestations of democracy or limitations of the President's authority, but another farce and attempt to mislead public opinion.gt-en-newsitem-inside
The analysis of the bill clears out that it has no act to balance the authorities of the President and the Parliament, said Vakhtang Khmaladze, the expert on the Constitution issues at yesterday's press conference. Moreover, that bill again increases the influence of the President on political process, the expert believes.
According to the acting Constitution, the President can dissolve the Parliament in case it fails to pass the new government or the new governmental program; in some cases, described in the Constitution, the President can not only dissolve the Parliament but even resign the government. According to the proposed amendments, in addition to the described cases, the President will obtain the right to dissolve the Parliament without any legal reason, merely on his consideration.
"It will evidently decrease the independency of the Parliament and give the President additional leverage to influence the Parliament", Khmaladze underlined.
The bill also states that if the President has already dissolved the Parliament once in the course of his term, he can do it again only basing of the referendum he calls. The expert believes that this paragraph is problematic, as it allows the President to call the referendum on the Parliament dissolving as often as he wishes.
Khmaladze analysed these and other points of the amendments and drew a deplorable conclusion: they will not only be unable to limit the President's power but also increase it, possibility to pass a vote of no confidence become minimal, therefore, they have to nothing with democratic processes and improvement of the Constitution.